The Church of the Deposition of the Virgin’s Robe in Vlachernon
The small single-domed Church of the Deposition of the Virgin’s Robe was built by craftsmen from Pskov in 1484-1486. It is situated on the site of an older church, erected in 1451 by Metropolitan Iona (Jonah) to commemorate the liberation of Moscow from the Tatar hordes led by Mazovsha on the holiday of the Deposition of the Virgin’s Robe in Vlachernon. On that day the Tatars suddenly withdrew from Moscow’s walls, leaving behind all they had amassed through plunder.
In the late 15th century, a new brick church was erected in place of the old one, which burned down, with an open parvis on three sides. In the 17th century it was rebuilt, with a new roof with four pitch slopes. Arches were added to the parvis on the west side. Through the covered gallery female members of the royal family passed from the Terem Palace to the Cathedral of the Assumption. The church was severely damaged in the fire of 1737 and during the bombardment of the Kremlin in 1918. After large-scale restoration the church serves as a museum.
The four-tiered iconostasis in a silver setting painted by Moscow artists is one of the greatest masterpieces of Russian art of the first half of the 17th century.